Monday, July 8, 2013

God Answers Prayer

Yes, I know. God answers prayer. You would think that I should have caught on to this little fact by now. But sometimes you just forget, in the general persevering of life, that when you ask for a miracle, you get one.

There is a kid (one of the first kids we met down there a few years ago) who is very, very angry. In the past year, a lot of things have happened in his life to make him even more angry and very hardened. Very grown up and business-like. With a shell around him that seems rather like a petrified dinosaur egg. I've been praying for this kid, trying to get through to him however I can, but he is just resistant to anything having to do with God. And yet, he is hurting so badly, and God is the only one who can help.

Christina said something on Wednesday that made me pray for him differently. (It really had very little to do with the matter at hand, but that is irrelevant.) Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I prayed that God would remove whatever spiritual components or interference was keeping him from seeking Jesus, or hearing about Him. Just three days of brief prayers when I thought of it.

Saturday, he sits down across the counter from me and starts talking about how all he can see playing over and over in his head was the night his dad was arrested. It never stops.

I told him, "You may not like what I'm going to say, but God can help you with that. But you need to ask him for help."

He put his professional face on and said, "Thanks very much for your advice."

I sorta grinned at him and replied, "Meaning, you're not planning on taking it at all."

Noncommittal grunt.

Ten minutes later..."Pastor Hannah, would you baptize me?"

Pastor Hannah: "Whhaaa? .....Do you know what being baptized means?"

"No."

"Okay. It means that you're going to follow Jesus, and you're adopted into God's family. You also have to do a bunch of classes so you can learn about who Jesus is and what all that means."

"Ok."

"Why do you want to be baptized?"

"I would do anything to not feel like this. That might help."
___________________________________________

That was one of the miracles for the day. God cracking the hardened shell on a very needy little boy. Now I'm asking you all to join in my prayers for a miracle. Pray that he follows through and that he meets Jesus and that nothing will get in the way of that. Pray that he finds the Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment